Friday, February 22, 2013

Heading South from Duluth, February 4

I was on the road by 8:00 - 8:30 on my way to Effingham, IL to stay the night and then try for Greater Prairie Chickens at Prairie Ridge at dawn.  The plan is then to go west toward St. Louis to try for Eurasian Tree Sparrow.  I am visiting Prairie Ridge, because Bob Ake did so successfully when he did his Big Year in 2010.

The trip was uneventful except for a little residual snow on the road where I headed south toward Madison, WI and maybe a little west of Chicago.  In addition, I found four Wild Turkeys  in an snow covered agricultural field just north of Exit 61 on I-90/94 in Wisconsin.  My course took me through Rockland, IL and then down slightly east to I-70.  And then to Effingham.  I arrived after dark and had a late meal at the nearby Denny's.  I went immediately to sleep, because I needed an early start to get to Prairie Ridge before dawn tomorrow morning.

With Wild Turkey, the total is 124.

No comments:

Post a Comment