Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Searching for Evening Grosbeaks, a Bohemian Waxwing and a Hoary Redpoll, January 17

Evening Grosbeaks can be very difficult to see in North America, particularly since the 70's in the East.  This year Evening Grosbeaks have returned to Mohican State Park near Loudenville.  The key is to get there early.  This location is one of the best locations in Ohio for Evening Grosbeaks when they appear this far south, which is infrequently in recent years.  This location is 176 miles and about 3 hours from my house.  I arrived at about 8:30 to 9:00 am, so you know I got up early and left early.  The birds were there, I saw about 25 Evening Grosbeaks as well as a number of Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls.  Below is a picture showing several colorful and gorgeous males as well as one Common Redpoll in the middle and a Pine Siskin on the feeder at left.  I met Margaret Bowman, an active Ohio birder, also retired like me now!

There was enough time to drive further north another 1-2 hours to Holden Arboretum, Kirkland, east of Cleveland to try for Hoary Redpoll as well as a Bohemian Waxwing, currently being seen and reported yesterday by birding friends Dan Sanders and Doreene Linzell.  I took off. 

However, I spent the rest of the day at Holden looking at redpolls at the feeders and also looking were the Bohemiam Waxwing had been seen.  I dipped (no luck) on these birds.    I found out later that local expert Jerry Talkington did not find them either.  I did add Black-capped Chickadee.  Birds have wings and they do fly.  It happens!  The list is now 79 with one great rare bird added!

No comments:

Post a Comment